The Future of Public Health
Today’s public health system addresses an array of challenges, including chronic diseases, mental health, substance abuse, traumatic injuries, environmental and occupational health, and bioterrorism. This supplement, based on a symposium at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, features national experts in public health who contend that increased life expectancy is leading us to a convergence of scientific, demographic, and economic forces that could lead public health to preempt clinical medicine as the primary focus of American health care.
- Public Health: Community and a Shared Future
- Which Road Will Public Health Take?
- Funding and the Mechanisms of Change
- Preventive Care: The First Step
- Panel Discussion: Keeping Americans Healthy and Safe